The last 36 hours have been a complete blur. After yesterday's Giving and Receiving Ceremony (I will write a short separate blog for that), Li Lin and I headed home to be back with the boys while Sara, Rykauna and Jadon went around with Loan (our helper from our adoption agency) to get some paperwork done. As soon as they got home in the afternoon, I left with Logan to go back to the clinic for a MD requested follow up visit as he still had his fever and bad cough. We debated bringing Jadon in as well since his breathing was laboured and he seemed quite lethargic. His behaviour was one of a cardiac child, but we had been assured his heart surgery had been complete and successful. We also asked at the orphanage a couple of times if he was on any medications and they said no. Anyways, we decided that Jadon and the other kids would stay with Sara.
|The Clinic at which we have spent many hours! They are wonderful, but hopefully we don't see them again!|
|Jadon getting a nebulizer treatment (saline to loosen secretions)|
|Mommy and Jadon getting ready to be tucked into bed. The IV was in case of an emergency. It was not used.|
|Jadon's main nanny came to help. He is well loved by the nannies. Two others came by to check on him.|
|Li Lin and Rykauna came with me to pick up Sara and Jadon. Here we are at a restaurant across the street. Pho, mmmm.|
|Here is a card Li Lin made for her brother (with help from her dad)|
Once this was known, and Jadon showed no signs of infection, we were discharged from the clinic. As we scanned through his previous medical files from the surgery hospital, we noticed that he was at a follow-up visit early October and that his current prescription was noted to be a daily aspirin to keep the blood thin and prevent clotting in the stent. We were concerned because we had been told by the orphanage that he was not on medication. Loan contacted them again and another nanny showed up bringing a bag full of medication and Jadon's daily medication intake. Surprise number 2! Despite the frustration of having to go in to the clinic for what turns out to be Jadon's weakened baseline health as opposed to anything acute, we are thankful to God that we did bring him in. If we did not get Jadon some aspirin for the remaining 2 weeks we are here, he would have died from a blood clot well before we flew home! They also told us he has bronchitis right now and needs antibiotics and ventolin nebulizations. We have no access to finding a ventolin compressor so are making do at the moment with puffers and steamy bathroom visits to loosen his lungs when needed. It seems to be working fine.
We came back home early afternoon. Jadon fell asleep on me on the way home. Sara was exhausted and went for a nap as soon as we got home. Jadon continued sleeping on me and did so for about 3 hours. My back and neck were stiff and numb but it was worth it as Jadon got a good, much needed sleep. Jadon actually moved around a fair amount and played well with the other kids for a while around supper. He is now in bed sleeping soundly.
So, the long and short of it is, we have a son who is significantly more ill than we expected given the information. Loan from our agency is also shocked and surprised at this news. As I mentioned in the blog before we got Jadon, the addition of every child to a family brings along a lot of unknowns. This is one for us. Please continue to pray that Jadon remains relatively healthy for the rest of our time here and that we can get him home and to Sick Kids to get follow up. We also will have more work cut out for us once we return as Jadon will have to undergo another open heart surgery. One day at a time!