Tuesday 8 May 2012

For this child I prayed ~ Steph


I recall being in the hospital the day each of my children were born.  For each of them, at some point in the day, while Sara was sleeping, I took them for a little walk in the hallways.  I held them in my arms, gazed into their little faces, listened to the sound of their breathing as they slept in my arms, and I prayed.  I thanked God for this little gift that he had granted us with.  I prayed for wisdom in raising them. I prayed for their salvation while they were young.  I prayed that I would be a worthy dad, that I would be a good example.  I prayed that they would be proud of me.  I prayed that they would grow up to be people of integrity and compassion.  I prayed that they would know not only that I love them, but that they were loved of their heavenly Father.
This evening and night, I spent a couple of hours walking around the halls of the hotel with her in our Boba carrier (great thing to bring!  Allows for close contact but preserves the arms, if not the back completely!  We both have sore arms and backs from lots of cuddling and carrying around when she is upset.  Out of practice for carrying a little child and we don’t get to start at 10 or 12 pounds but get thrown in directly and 25 or so!) 
As I wandered the halls, the same prayers rose from my heart.  I gazed at Li Lin and thanked God for this precious gift.  I prayed for wisdom in raising her.  I prayed that she will feel our love and that she will grow to accept us as her forever family.  I prayed that she will come to know the love of God that is beyond understanding.  I prayed for her salvation early in life.  I prayed that I will be a good example for her, that I will be able to teach her right from wrong, good from bad.  I prayed that she will grow up to be a young woman of integrity and compassion.  I prayed that her heart will heal.  I prayed that she will feel safe with us.  I prayed for her a special blessing of care and compassion and love.  I prayed that she will never feel alone and never feel insecure.

For this child, I prayed.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Steph, these pics of you with your little Li Lin are just beautiful. What would we ever do without prayer?!! Li Lin is so blessed to have a "Baba" who prays for her. It may take some time but I have absolutely no doubt that she will become VERY bonded with you. So good that parenting is a marathon, not a sprint!! :) Sierrah and Athena are totally loving the blog. Sierrah was checking it at school today and showing her friends and teacher. Pretty cute. Hugs to you all. My arms are aching to hold Li Lin. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came back from supper with Claire and Samuel and rushed to the computer to check your blog. "Where two or three are gathered together, there am I in the midst of them." I wonder if we can be gathered together even at a distance.... Joining in prayer anyways. I love to read you Steph. You express yourself so well. The pictures of you and LiLin remind me of a particular picture of you and Rykauna. Of course, she was much smaller.... a new born. Isn't LiLin in a way a newborn... a newborn into your family? Continue praying for this special child as you continue to pray for Rykauna, Logan and Hudson. God hears your prayers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Li Lin is so blessed to have a dad like you,Steph! She will be proud of you!She is a gift from God for you, and when she grows up,she will tell you the same,that, you are a precious gift that she can ever get,from our Heavenly Father...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, so sweet. God is SO good. Praying for you all too.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Li Lin is such a precious dolly - so glad things are going better! Continuing to pray for you all, and so thankful Li Lin has been so blessed with a family like yours!

    Love in Him,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words. Love the pictures :) My heart feels for you all, praying for precious Li Lin and her wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing the stories and pictures! It's so good to see, even half way around the world. We are praying for you all. Sarah G & Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  8. "For this child I prayed." 1 Samuel 1:27
    Love it Steph. Every child is a holy gift entrusted to parents. There is a cost to motherhood and fatherhood, and the price is no small sum to raise that child for God. Steph and Sara, may God give you that needed grace to raise your children for God. Love you all. Mom xoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete