Saturday, 19 May 2012

How do you get over jetlag with a 3-year old? ~ Steph

We arrived home on Thursday 6:30 pm Toronto time.  The flight went really well, other than being separated a bit on the plane.  Sara and Li Lin sat behind Rykauna and Logan, while Hudson and I sat a few rows back on the other side of the plane.  Li Lin was absolutely amazing.  She played quietly for the first several hours of the flight, then slept soundly until we landed.  It made for a quiet flight but... she is still pretty completely on China time!

My Mom picked us up at the airport and we had a snack when we got home.  The kids were all pretty awake but Sara was exhausted since she had stayed awake making sure the tossing and turning Li Lin did not fall off the seat on the plane!  Sara went for a nap, the other three kids went to sleep around midnight and Li Lin stayed up until 2am.  She was really cute always whispering and shushing with her finger to her mouth because mama was sleeping.  We had our best bonding time yet.  She sat on my lap, let me give her a bath in the bathroom sink and change her.  I even got one little kiss as I brought her upstairs to bed.  She asked to sleep in her bedroom (she seems to think its pretty cool).  She slept from 2:00 - 5:00 (equivalent of afternoon nap!) then woke up.

Sara got up with Li Lin and the other kids were also up shortly.  The morning and afternoon were quite rough.  Li Lin was tired but would not sleep.  She was getting frustrated and we saw some of her anger come out again.  Eventually, after her last of many fits on the day, she fell asleep around 3:30. Problem!  She woke up at 8:00pm for a bathroom break and then fell back asleep to midnight.  She woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and much happier and busier!  Luckily, we had gone to sleep early as well, around 6:30pm but... it will take a while to get switched over to Toronto time!

As we are settling in, we see still the confusion of Li Lin.  She has now been living in 3 different places with us - 2 hotels and now home.  I'm guessing she doesn't yet know that this is 'home' and a permanent place.  She is really comfortable around the kids, which is great.  She calls Sara and I mama and baba, but she doesn't really know what their roles are.  She does NOT like being told no... but as a rambunctious and curious 3 year old, there needs to be limits set, for her safety and ours!  She is once again showing more grieving and anger.  We continue to appreciate your prayers for wisdom in helping this little darling to grieve and heal and adjust to a very different life half-way around the world.


  1. Welcome you all. It is so lovely to see you as a new family. Yes, I can literally hear Li Lin when she is grieving. You are right about the kids handling her well. They are fantastic with her and she genuinely loves them. Looking forward to seeing you all grow as a family. My prayers definitely continue for you.
    Love you all. Mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

  2. Thankful you are all home safe and sound! Now begins the new 'normal' whatever that will be!! =) Continuing to pray for you all, and hoping much sleep will come to you soon!!

    Love in Him,
    Steph W

  3. I will be praying for you and her (and all the kids!). She has had such a hard time through all of this. Keep us updated on how things continue to go.

    Silas is confused too, but happy at least. I am sure he is wondering where he is now!

    It was so great to meet you... you have an amazing heart and much wisdom.

  4. Glad to hear you made it home ok!!

  5. It is a beautiful weekend. Go play in the park, a splash pad...
    It was so much easier getting over jet lag with my 2 year old at the end of August when there was plenty of sunshine than in December. At that time there were 3 of us, a 3 year old, a 12 month old and myself and it wasn't as easy to go outside.
    Loved following your journey.